When we're looking for a hearty but guilt free meal, one of our favorite quick and easy recipes is low carb vegetarian spaghetti with spaghetti squash. By eliminating whole wheat pasta and ground turkey from our delicious turkey spaghetti recipe, we're creating an incredibly easy low carb and vegetarian spaghetti dish that is delicious, filling and entirely guilt free!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
LOW CARB VEGETARIAN SPAGHETTI RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 1 whole spaghetti squash, halved and de-seeded
- 1 medium sized Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 8 oz. package of Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1 24 oz. Jar of your favorite Tomato Basil pasta sauce
- 1 6 oz. can of Tomato Paste
- 1 14 oz. can of Diced Tomatoes (or 2 fresh diced tomatoes)
- ½ tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup dry Red Wine
SPAGHETTI WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH COOKING DIRECTIONS
- On a chopping board, cut the fresh whole spaghetti squash in half at the tall ends of the squash.
- With a spoon, remove the seeds/inner parts of the middle of the spaghetti squash
- Put the two halves of the squash with the inside facing down in a large glass baking dish
- Cover the bottom 1/4th of the spaghetti squash with water and place in the dish in the oven uncovered on 375 degrees for 45 minutes
VEGETARIAN SPAGHETTI SAUCE COOKING DIRECTIONS
- While the spaghetti squash is baking in the oven, pour the Tomato basil pasta sauce into a non-stick sautéing pan
- Add the dry Red Wine, Tomato Paste, Minced Garlic and Italian seasoning to the sauce, stirring until the sauce has an even thickness
- Add diced peppers, onion, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes
- Let the sauce simmer covered on low heat, stirring occasionally until the spaghetti squash is finished baking
After 45 minutes of baking, remove the spaghetti squash out of the oven to check if it is finished cooking. To test whether the spaghetti squash is finished cooking properly, take a fork to the inner edge of the spaghetti squash and roughly abrase the squash. If cooked properly it will peel off the sides into a stringy, spaghetti-like consistency.
Clean all of the insides of both halves of the spaghetti squash into a serving bowl. Top the spaghetti squash with the spaghetti squash and serve!
Our low carb vegetarian spaghetti with spaghetti squash is tasty and filling and will make you feel great about what you're putting in your body!